View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Medevac6
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Hello, Stratapilot,

VIIPILOT is 100% correct. You have to beet the streets, or at least knock on hangar doors. Here is my story:

While waiting at an FBO after delivering a patient, I noticed a pilot who was wearing a security badge from my home airport. I introduced myself and after talking a bit, he invited me to fly their C421 as a contract pilot on my days off. This pilot eventually left for greener pastures in the Metroplex, and was replaced by one of his friends, who also used me as a contract pilot. Long story short, they sold their 421 last year and a month ago replaced it with a King Air F90. I spoke with the chief pilot last week, and we are going to meet this coming week to start the insurance process and discuss KA school.

Also, at the airport where I fly medevac out of (not my home airport), there are numerous King Airs, many of which use contract pilots as well. After I get my KA initial, I will try to break into that market as well.

In the meantime, as I was knocking on hangar doors, I met a young man who manages a few 421's here. He has agreed to use me as a contract pilot as well.

My total time is the same as yours, although my flight experience is a little different. The common theme I've read on these threads, and heard first person, is networking. Prepare a good resume, include a breakdown of flight times, gather letters of reference, print a bunch of copies, put them in manilla envelopes and go to the airport(s). Don't be a pest, don't appear anxious or overeager, just be yourself. You won't catch fish if you don't bait the hook.

Good luck, buddy.