View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 AM
captain_drew
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: FredEx Captain-Retired

Funny guys

Since many pilots (at least at my airline) are commuters, the question was poised correctly . .plural. “What kind of car(s)” .. . ?

Since we need “Airporters” many of us have/had many cars. No need to impress someone driving to the airport at 0130 <g> Sometimes they get parked at outlying airports for months at a time. . . until you can hold a bid back there. There were many cars at the FredEx MEM parking lot that had small saplings growing up through the grill.

1973 Suburu station wagon (used) called him “Kermit”
1979 Toyota SR-5 PU (bought new)
1980 Mercedes 300D (diesel) wife thought it was ‘smelly’, so traded in for:
1982 Volvo 242 (bought new)
1983 Porsche 944 (bought new in Stuttgart)
1984 VW GTI (bought new)
1988 Toyota 4-Runner (bought new)
1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited (bought new)
1991 Mercedes 300E (wife’s -get to drive it once in a while)
1991 BMW 325 Ci (used)
long drought saving for kid’s college <g>
1997 VW Jetta
2001 Mercedes SLK 320
2003 Toyota Priius
2003 HD Sportster 1200

Most pilots I know are WAY beyond the “cars are penis symbols” -and are pretty practical. That is NOT to say that they choose a wife properly -and MANY involuntarily end up with a new Lexus in that garage every year so the wife looks good in the grocery store parking lot. Some of my buds who lived in Germantown called their spouse’s Mercedes “Krogervagens”

Since I don’t commute any longer, the Volvo, GTI, Cherokee and Suburu got donated to “Operation HomeFront” so a SAN military family could have transportation while the warrior was deployed. They all had less than 70,000 miles on them!