Thread: Vjm #7
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
APC225
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Last today, I want to once again highlight the increasing concerns your union has over the current staffing shortfalls and the impending staffing disaster we see approaching with the summer flying schedule. I am very cognizant of the fact that sooner or later, management will likely try to place the blame on the pilot group should these staffing shortfalls continue and negatively affect operations. I hope that by continuing to provide the facts, we are able to demonstrate that any problem is due to management’s failure to act in a timely manner to prevent it, or is the result of their missteps.

To date in 2012, management has offered 38 days and 315 BES-days of voluntary junior manning (VJM) at a pay premium. For the same time period in 2011, management offered only one (1) day of VJM and ten (10) BES-days. Management has needed VJM 40 percent of the time in order to make the airline work so far this year, in comparison with roughly one (1) percent of the time last year. Last year, they did not hit 38 days of VJM offers until August 13, and we all remember how well last summer fared.

I hope that you all have a good Easter weekend. Fly Safe.

One Union, One Voice

CAL MEC Chairman