Thread: Bicycling
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 06:09 AM
uvuflier
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: SF34 FO

Originally Posted by Copperhed51 View Post
I warn you though, if you get started on this habit, it can be addictive as hell and it's not cheap.
I miss it so much! But I'm finding that trying to purchase a bike outside of working in the industry on 1st year regional pay might be a challenge. Added to that is the bike snob in me doesn't want to get anything less than Ultegra or XT (Shimanophile here).

Also the way/where I ride will have to change just to make sure I don't lose my medical because some overzealous cat 5 Armstrong wannabe put me in a ditch or some trucker wants to teach me a lesson. Then again the only time I've seriously wrecked a bike was on a trail.

Protip: If you wreck and break your collarbone, get it pinned. I broke mine in four places so they had no choice. That summer, three other friends of mine broke their collarbone.
  • Two of us had our collarbones pinned successfully and immediately ( I was back riding in three weeks)
  • One guy had his pinned but had to have his stitches redone (he started lifting weights early and the skin got rubbed away over one of the bolts. Could see the metal in his shoulder.)
  • One was told to rest up for a few months and that it would heal natutrally. He was in a great deal of pain for a month and they finally took another look. Turns out they didn't x-ray from the top and he had split his collarbone lengthwise with the fracture not visible from the side. He eventually got it pinned.

And no it doesn't set off security.

Anyway more cool pictures for HSLD.

Brad Huff Tour of Missouri crash - YouTube (couldn't figure out how to embed it)