Old 04-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Bbourne2009
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: CA

Vito,

I'm super late on this thread but I'll give my inputs just in case you still haven't decided. I'm currently enrolled at FIT as an aviation management w/flight major. I'm just about finished with my junior year. I wouldn't trade my school for any others. The friendships I have created with numerous people have been more than rewarding. Flying wise, yes it's expensive but it's worth it. My instructor was very in depth and helpful throughout all my training. I came to the school with 70 hours and a private pilot cert. I then came back for my 3rd semester (start of sophomore year) as a flight instructor employed at the flight line. Starting junior year I had well over 500tt and 100 multi. Starting senior year in the next couple months I'm glad to have a very light schedule where I can continue to flight instruct more now and I will without a doubt graduate with over 1000hrs which puts me over the new NPRM. Having flight trained and instructed here for the past 3 years I can without a doubt tell you numerous times I've had to use good ADM skills to navigate "around" thunderstorms and make ils approaches to minimums or even flying in 3 hours of light to moderate turbulence at night in imc over the Atlantic on trips back from the Turks n Caicos. I personally feel that my inflight weather experiences are just as much a good lesson learned as compared to other schools from up north. It may not be icing conditions but no training aircraft are certified for known ice anyway. (just popped into my mind two times of reported ice in ktlh which is always in ifr conditions. One of the times I actually picked up some trace. This was a non FIT flight in an Aztec with de-ice boots of course though. Point being you can still get ice and good imc in Florida but its usually always up by Tallahassee.)

With all this being said, I'm by no means the average flight student coming out of FIT as far as amount of experience but the opportunity is there for anyone who really wants it. Or maybe they just need to be crazy enough to sign away their social life as a freshman to get ahead the next three years.

On top of that, I agree with everything emb170man has said too. Good luck to your son and his decision.

Brandon