View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

That's T2, and yes, I think that is where all the LCC's are going. SFO was going to revamp T2 after the new international terminal was built, but then 9/11 happened and traffic has dropped of since. SFO used to be one of the top 10 busiest airports in the world, but now it is behind one's like Phoenix, Vegas, Detroit, Minneapolas, Orlando...
It is kind of sad.

The problem is there are 4 runways, they all intersect, and the CENTERLINES of the typical landing runways (28L/R) are only 750ft apart, (that's 550ft separation from the edge of each runway). If you have ever looked out your window to see a 757 550ft away while on approach (seen it many times), you know how crazy those approaches can be in bad weather. Simulataneous approaches are a NO NO when the fog rolls in. All SFO needs to do is move 28R about 1/2 mile to the north (into the bay), but there are too many environmentalist wining and complaining. I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life, I love the environment here, it is amazing, but c'mon, give us a little dirt in the bay for the sake of our airport and ultimately our economy!!
SOIA (Simulataneous Offset Instrument Approaches) have really helped SFO. Instead of arrivals going from 60+/hr to 30/hr when the fog rolls in, they can now accomidate 40 planes/hr.

Meanwhile SJC and OAK have been huge leaps in passenger traffic over the past several years, even though it is clear that more bay area residents prefer SFO. Virgin America wants to fly out of there. JetBlue just announced a lot of service. Frontier is making SFO a focus city. Alaska has started a ton of Mexico flights. Now Southwest wants in. All we need is that damn runway moved a little.