View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by WBBulldogs View Post
I've always had a deep passion for aviation and aircraft. Always looked up into the sky everytime I heard something buzzing in the air. I'm just really confused on what to do. I'm about to be separated from the military (downsizing sucks)
This raises a red flag. The civilians may not understand this but everyone in the military knows that involuntary downsizing is done based on performance rankings (lowest rankings get shown the door first).

I would carefully evaluate why you were ranked low enough to get the ax as a mid-grade enlisted. Consider how that would relate to your ability and motivation to complete pilot training in good standing. Be aware that simply scraping by in pilot training will not set you up for an airline career...your goal will be to complete training with zero checkride failures.

If the issue is something you can change, then make sure you are prepared to make those changes.

As far as degrees...generally avoid anything aviation related unless it is an actual engineering degree. The exception might be if you need to use the GI Bill to cover both college and flight training together you may not have much choice of major. Probably not worth extra tens of thousands of dollars just to get a non-aviation major. Any aviation degree will be nearly useless as a backup degree, other than the fact that it is a four-year degree. Ie there are few jobs where those majors apply, and there are a whole of pilots who have the same major you do.