Thread: US Airways Said to Develop AMR Merger Plan to

eaglefly , 04-19-2012 04:09 PM
Banned
eaglefly
Banned
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2008
Quote: The irony in this engaging discussion is that both Mr Horton and Mr Parker cut their teeth early on the the finance department of AA.

There appears to be some misconception that Mr Parker won't go after cost containment and/or attempt to put a sustained profit model in place. If he's such a great leader, why is there still a split within his own house and an overwhelming rejection of a TA by his own FA's!

I'm truly open to the possibility of an equal merger that plays strength against strength. Doug isn't interested in that and the fact that he wants in all during the course of a BK process is proof positive. He's looking for all the cost cutting he can get.

He's had all the time in the world to pursue a merger with AA over the past decade, where's the beef!

But we pilots are emotional creatures and "we know we're entitled to the very best". A salesman's comes along and says, boys, have I got a deal for you! To chase that marginal dollar, we're willing to chuck it all, while attempting to convince ourselves that this new marriage is just the ticket to nirvana!

I'm just not buying the hype!
I think most are under no illusions that a compensation model for every employee group must be in place that is competitive. AMR is asking the employees (and especially the pilots) to finance Horton's plan, but so far there IS no real plan. Hopefully, Parker may offer something in both business plan and competitive compensation that is successful.

Apparently, AMR believes it CANNOT be competitive with DAL or UAL labor costs and must go drastically below those. Yet (oddly), BOTH those carriers are turning sustained profits with those compensation packages (at least for pilots).

Therefore, as far as I'm concerned either AMR management is an opportunistic, manipulative liar or they are admitting their own inability to manage this carrier. If they cannot do what competing management can do with equal costs, what does that say ?

It says to me, long-term, this management team is just as likely, if not more to put this carrier back in BK. I mean really, if you look at the last 10 years, it's tough to find anything substantive.