View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
OK first of all there is no money in Florida. None. And forget about Florida to Europe. There is absolutely zero money there, as evidenced by the high number of money losing super premium widebodies there at any given time. They are only doing those money losing routes to help repay their WWI/II and subsequent perpetual defense debts to us. They are doing us a favor. Likewise, Florida bases are why SWA and JB are about to liquidate.

There is NO MONEY IN FLORIDA!!!!

Srsly though I think we're being indirectly penalized to fund the never ending marketing blank check that's been given. Fly anything, anywhere, regardless of trip construction, pilot productivity or basing, that generates one penny more revenue. So every city gets every plane in the fleet and nothing makes sense for a base for any one of them. Then the company squeals about how unproductive we are with all the low credit days and long sits and overnights because of the marketing situation they created along with their choice to have a zillion fleet types in the first place. They then pile on that said lack of productivity is the reason we can't achieve profitable LCC parity, but maybe we can scrounge up some used fleet refreshment jets at the bottom end for 10 million each, but only if we can order and outsource more 20-40 million dollar "RJ's".

canihazMBA?

When I was a newb, I was based in MIA, then later BOS. Most of what DAL (and EAL) did was fly 727's and L10-11's, BOS/LGA to MIA, FLL, MCO, TPA, PBI. I remember reading in Airline Pilot mag, that at that time, the North East to FLorida market was 40% of all US Domestic passengers!

Every night in BOS there were 5 L10-11's parked there, all going to Florida the next morning, and there were more parked at BDL, which would go directly to BOS or LGA in the morning, then on to FLL, PBI, MIA. For a while DAL was flying L15's from MCO to London and Frankfurt as well.

Oh...and up until Mo'Ron took over, and bought Pan Am, (1991) Delta had NEVER lost money, ever. Then Mo'Ron started buying MD-11's and trying to "Rule the World" and well...that's when the furloughs started.

Funny how Delta was able to make money in the North East-Florida market back then, even with People Express selling seats in that same market, for $19.