View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by DAL73n View Post
Let's not underestimate the power of the internet to allow more people to analyze whatever comes out of this contract. Between e-mail, twitter, facebook, SMS, cheap desktop spreadsheet software for amateur analysts, publicly available 10-K etc. data, and we are much more able to get to the bottom line than in the past. It is much harder for DALPA to put a XXX page document in the v-file and have little to no additional information. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get screwed on this contract I'm just saying it's a lot harder to "sneak" things by. Also, I have faith in a 1 CA, 2 F/O NC since every F/O I know is major stagnated (20+ year upgrades to CA unless you want to be an M88 CA on reserve in NYC).

Dalpa puts out a lot more then a document on the contract. On every contract I have been involved with they put out a contract highlights package shortly after signing. Then they put out actual contract language prior to voting. About the same time they put out a extensive often section by section explanation of the contract. Then they put on a series of road shows at the major bases and geographic centers where pilots live. There are also concurrent MEC meetings ongoing where normally the negotiating team will show up for a question and answer. The road shows are also made available as a webcast.
Afer all that 1/3 of the pilot group will complain they did not get any information before voting. Another 1/3 will complain the MEC did a sell job on the TA. The last 1/3 will say contract? Are we in negotiations?
P.S. The MEC had better not bring me any contract for a vote unless they can stand up confidently and sell the contract as the best deal for Delta pilots and their families. If they can't do that then it should not even be released for a vote with one exception. There are situations where putting a bad contract to a vote can be a useful political tool to show pilot resolve. In that case it should simply be put before the pilot group with the understanding its not endorsed by the MEC. That has not happened at Delta yet.