View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by CloudSailor View Post
I went to the roadshows on Pref Bidding at another airline, and we were sold on it, and voted it in. The reality the ensued was not in line with what was presented during the roadshows. Didn't matter too much to those who presented all the glory of PBS, because they were in the top 5%, and it worked out very well for them... for the rest of the crew force, the reality of PBS sucked big time. Vacation (not as good as FDX), was impacted in ways in which the union never even considered. By then it was too late, PBS was part of the contract, and the old school line-bidding became one more thing we would have re-negotiate to get back (while giving up something in return).

Just my perspective...
Yeah, I've heard this bed time story before. And often seems like it turns into a nightmare for all involved. That's why I'm trying to find out more from guys that have lived it. Assuming this is coming, what would you do differently? Example: For us, vacation touching is a huge thing (turn 1 week of vacation into 3 or 4 if you bid right). I think if we do this PBS thing, the computer build shouldn't know anything about your vacation until AFTER it builds your line. Then you can bid just like you would with a line, looking for trips that do touch your vacation with lots of days off around to maximize days off. Just one example.