View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by phalanxo View Post
and we all met the same PTS standard on our checkride days.
In my experience, no. I've met more than one DPE that doesn't really enforce the rules, and I've noticed this more with these types of schools. Your experience may be different, but something like the highly structured program of UND maintains the standards to a much higher extent. I know ATP is also "highly structured", but the goal is different, no matter how much one wants to think otherwise. Goal is "as fast as possible". 5 months is not quite "as fast as possible", so that does favor you a little better, but when I was CFIing I also noticed that putting people on 5-6 times a week and sometimes more than once a day doesn't usually benefit them, because there's little chance to "improve" and step back to make changes. Just weekend doesn't cut it either obviously. As much as people hate on UND for being "pilot puppy mills", I think they actually try to do the right thing and enforce standards and make a quality product that they are judged on. Doesn't mean huge parts of FAA training aren't "broke", but I think the "AsfastTrainingasPossible" type schools are far worse.