View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 AM
dudemize
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: ANG

Tanker-Driver and TankerDriver,

As a long time reservist, (7 yrs Army Reserve, 7 AF Reserve now), I can tell you the the reserves is a great place to be. However, things are much different now then they were just 5 years ago. The ancillary training is getting to the point of being ridiculous (at least in the strat world), lots of units activated or deployed. A know a couple C-130 guys who got off active duty just in time to get activated at their reserve units, guess where they are right now? I'm telling you this just so you have a realistic view of life in the guard/reserve (at least right now). The "flying club" days are long gone, but it is still WAY better than being on active duty!

Another good thing about the reserves is the opportunity for full time positions, whether it be AGR (preferably) or ART (Air Reserve Technician). They are both hard to come by, AGR even more so. I'm seriously considering an ART job over the airlines. Stable, decent pay, home every night, full retirement at 57 (even more attractive now that airline retirement is gonna be 65 in the next couple years). The job itself can be a pain in the ass and you will work a lot. Every ART in my squadron is a former airline pilot and none are going back, if that tells you anything.

If you want to give the airlines a shot, there is no better place to network then in the reserves! I'm betting that you'll fly with pilots at every airline out there.

Finally, to echo what jdt30 says, DO NOT DOUBLE COMMUTE!!!!!!!!!

Also, don't limit yourself to 135 units, most units hire from all backgrounds. However, the 135 is nice in that you could move anywhere and chances are there is a 135 unit nearby.