View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM
4everFO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Left Out

Originally Posted by zondaracer View Post
CX SO is not a really a time building job, it is a place to go if you want to make it a career, from what I have been told.

As a SO, you will be the relief pilot on long haul flights. Upgrade times are 7-9 years before you make FO. SO doesn't land, only flies in the cruise phase.
I heard commuting as a SO is very difficult.

You can see why it isn't a time building job, but rather a career job. Most of my Euro friends have applied. I have not for the reasons mentioned above.

Good luck if you choose to apply.
Not even close...current SO to JFO upgrades are at the 4 year mark. There was no hiring, except a handful in 2009, so once all the 2008 hires are trained then the upgrade should drop to around 3 years. After that, who knows. Of course management is talking about parking airplanes now so everything is, as always in aviation, subject to change.

I am in no way advocating coming to CX on the current package. If you do come to CX and you are in your early twenties, I would suggest it as a time building job....3-4 years as an SO then get your 1000-1500 hours in the right seat and bail if you can find something better.

I have 7 years in and at best I am estimating another 10 years to the left seat.

FO.