View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by mccube5 View Post
I can't say that I have ever heard that bit of not descending below mins unless you are within 30 degrees of centerline. The only place I have heard that 30 degrees come into play is what creates the need for a circling approach. If the approach course doesnt take you within 30 degrees of centerline then it would be a circling approach. As soon as you have the airport in sight (or any of the other things listed in 91.175) with the visibility and its stable you can go as low as you want. Doesn't say anything about being within parameters of centerline.
You're 100% right. Anything beyond 30 degree from the centerline of the runway kicks you up to circling mins automatically. I was looking at what constitutes the "landing environment" and it's a 30degree section from the centerline. Anything beyond that is not the landing environment thus raising the mins to circle to land minimums. Only in the 30degree area are you guaranteed obstacle clearance lower than the circling to land minimums. So I guess you don't HAVE to stay at circle to land mins till at that point but if it's that shady of conditions you'd be a fool not to. I've never flown a plane where you start a descent on a midfield downwind and 500ft agl. That's one VERY tiny descent and you'd have to be flying on really tight pattern which doesn't seem normal.