Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Wingtips
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by SailorJerry View Post
And which hand do you think I sit on until the other guy calls for the gear? CRM is a two way street. You think he should put the gear down, be a man Mr. Gods gift to aviation as a First Officer, tell him to put the gear down. Didn't you ever learn that passive aggressive assertiveness like resting your hand on a control is a great way to, as you so eloquently put it, F up? Do we have to review the rules of First Officer assertiveness, or did your backwoods, substandard, RJ CRM class tell you that actions speak louder than words? Maybe I should rephrase. First Officers. Do your job and monitor. Your company has policy for identifying deviations from the standard flight path. Learn them and use them explicitly. Captains. If you think the guy needs the gear, politely suggest it. If he refuses, debrief him like a good ATP.
Ya tried that, then got the 30min lecture the next day about how to be a subtle f.o. and how the captains have been doing this for years, and that some day I will want to go to a major airline and they want a guy who upgrades but can go to the major airline and be a good FO. I love that kind of advice from the guy who is 45-50 and still at a regional. Being a subtle turd is NOT an ART, but telling people how to be a subtle turd does make you a turd.

I do agree with the second half of your statement, but again, I do not want to fly with some guy who just came off the ATR, and leaves JFK and goes to 240 KTs giving me a tour of upstate NY when we need to be heading towards COATE. I also do not want a tour of the Jersey Shore because some guy wants to descend at 1000 feed a minute going into JFK. FO or Captain if your out of your element just roll with the guy your with. 90% of the pilots are great, but the 10% suck, and are tools, and make things harder for the 90% because everyone is then scared to ever talk to someone they dont know.