Old 01-01-2006, 06:36 AM
18Wheeler
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: B747 CA
Default Southern Air

Snoopy questions:
1.and 2. International deadheadand carrier choice. It will normally be coach and unfortunatly you do not have a choice of carrier. Mostly US carriers. They are not always the cheapest either, they will not make you do 4 or 5 legs to save a nickel.
They try to get direct routing when possible. With the Cathay trips you will normally get Business class. Guys have gotten coach and first class, about even there.
It all depends on your bid line and where you will start you trips. It could be in the lower 48, Anchorage, Hong Kong, Europe, or Dubai. Three quarters start in lower 48 and Anchorage.
It does suck that you do not get DH pay the first year. I guess its the price you pay for home basing. Personnaly jumpseating sucks more than no DH pay for a year.
3. Southern Air uses their own instructors in the sims and for ground school.
All of the PFE's that teach the ground school are great. Very professional and will help you as much as you need, just ask.
4. Reason for leaving. I know some went to Focus for direct to captain and top of seniority list there.
Others were recalled or went to different passenger carriers.
I would guess the main reason would be quality of life. Being away from home for long periods is not fun. If I leave that will be why.
A factor could have been the growing pains in going from 1 to 4 airplanes in a short time. A bit caotic for a while there.
5. Pay during training. You will be paid for block time during OE.
They have always been punctual with pay.
6. Of the the nine check airmen there is only one that they sould get rid of.
The rest do such a good job it is embarassing to have this one ruin the reputation of the rest.
7. Upgrade time. When I was hired the company went from 1 airplane to 4 in just a few months. Captains were hired off the street. Not all that were hired as captains are flying as captains. With good reason they are particular who will sit in the left seat. The upgrades in class now have been here around a year and a half. Many factors will determine upgrade: attrition through retirement, resignations, adding to fleet, personal ability and recomendations.
8. Layoffs. They have had no layoffs since I started. The layoffs that happened in the past were when they were flying leased airplanes. We now own all of the airplanes we fly. Supposedly the companies we are flying for want us to get more airplanes. It looks fairly stable for the moment.
But anything can happen. Anytime. With any airline.

Last edited by 18Wheeler; 01-01-2006 at 06:42 AM.