View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 AM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by johnso29 View Post
KC10,

I'm thinking it's the AF pilots. Notice how these incidents are limited to AF? Delta had a 330 experience the exact same pitot icing incident as AF 447, and they came out if it no problem. I'm fairly confident it happened before AF 447 too. I have a small amount of 320 time(around 2100 hours)and there is no way one shoudn't feel a climb. This is a lack of airmanship.
Airmanship is the problem. Airbus made a big point in their development that they intended to design a aircraft that did not require airmanship. Sadly it has not worked out quite like they planned. We have also watched as most airlines eliminate basic flying skills from training. If you don't require those skills you open the profession up to a larger group and can then lower wages. What does it say when a pilot at a major airline is not comfortable when cleared for the visual on downwind in a 757 flying a standard visual pattern and instead has to fly out to the OM before turning back into the field. They are not even comfortable with their own skills to fly the aircraft. When the chips are down and things go very bad it will not be a matter of trying to fall back on old skills, there will be no old skills to use and the result can be predicted in advance. More and more accidents are along these lines. Many pilots today could not pass a sim check from 25 years ago. The solution is make the check rides easier and easier. That falls back on management desire to expand the pool of pilots to keep wages low.