View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 03:54 AM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

Originally Posted by ryane946 View Post
My favorite politician is Diane Feinstein cause she's not a crazy liberal.

And no matter what my political beliefs... No matter what my political affiliation... I love California and I don't want this AWESOME place to get wrecked by global warming.
That's nice. Unfortunately the UN says you are doomed. Here is a short summary of their "findings".

[edit] IPCC Fourth Assessment Report: AR4
This documents a current event.
Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.

Main article: IPCC Fourth Assessment Report
Work on the fourth assessment report (AR4) is well underway[6].

The Working Group I report was published on February 2, 2007[7]. Its key conclusions were that[8]:

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal
Most of the observed increase in globally averaged temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations
Hotter temperatures and rises in sea level "would continue for centuries" no matter how much humans control their pollution.[9], although the likely amount of temperature and sea level rise varies greatly depending on the fossil intensity of human activity during the next century (pages 13 and 18)[10]
The probability that this is caused by natural climatic processes alone is less than 5%
World temperatures could rise from anywhere between 1.1 and 6.4°C (1.98 to 11.52°F) during the 21st century (table 3) and that:
Sea levels will probably rise by 18 to 59cm (7.08 to 23.22in) [table 3]
It is more than 90% certain that there will be frequent warm spells, heat waves and heavy rainfall -->
It is more than 66% certain that there will be an increase in droughts, tropical cyclones and extreme high tides.
Both past and future anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions will continue to contribute to warming and sea level rise for more than a millennium.
Global atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have increased markedly as a result of human activities since 1750 and now far exceed pre-industrial values over the last 650,000 years.
Working Group II and Working Group III reports are scheduled for early April and early May, respectively. The AR4 Synthesis Report (SYR) is expected to be finalized during the last quarter of 2007.

Author lists and a chapter outline of the WGI report are available[11].