View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 PM
shoelu
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: CA

Originally Posted by nehringer View Post
My company is not CASS and since we're cargo only, we have no reciprocal agreements with anyone. I called SWA's non-rev line and explained my situation and I was listed. I'm going to shave my goatee Saturday morning before my flight. Am I going to be asking myself, "Did I shave my beard for this"? I have all of the same credentials to present to the gate agent, Captain, etc and I will be in a proper uniform with only a small gym bag to stow. From what I've read on other sites, SWA is one of the only airlines who lend a hand to employees of lesser operators. If I can't go, I can't go. I just don't want to end up in a situation where I get home, or halfway home and end up walking back to work. Google Maps says the walk would take like 10. something days. I know without CASS I have to ride in coach, and that is fine. Just tell me I'm not wasting my weekend as well as my family's hopes that I'll get to come home for a long weekend!
I think you may be in for a disappointment, but I hope not. You will most definitely won't be offered the jump seat if the cabin is full, that always will require CASS access. You may get lucky and get offered a seat in back. Please remember if the Captain does accommodate you he is putting himself in the line of fire for stepping outside the FOM. That being said, most will bend over backwards to attempt to get you where you are trying to go, and some would not even consider putting themselves in the line of fire in order to help. If you see someone from the flight crew go introduce yourself and explain your situation. Remember also, that getting a ride to your destination does not guarantee you a ride home because you will be dealing with a different gate agent and crew. For what it's worth I used to travel on SWA all the time when I was a freight dog with no reciprocal agreement. Of course this was the early nineties and times certainly have changed since then. When and where are you trying to travel, I can look at the loads?