View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM
LeineLodge
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL FO

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
That has nothing to do with negotiations. Negotiations are about knowing the process, and using it to your maximum advantage. Our MEC is saying YES to the very first offer before real section 6 negotiations even begins. How can you not see the problem there?

Do you not remember our MEC chairman begging us to give them a chance to show us all what a great job they can do with the first Section 6 negotiations that has occured on the property in over a decade? Is this it? Running from the table before Section 6 even begins and waving a victory flag?

Carl
Your argument is based on the belief that longer is better, errr, more time negotiating will equal a better result. It is complete speculation that dragging this thing out will ultimately result in a better agreement for the pilots. Maybe it will, maybe not.

What I do know is that we currently have an offer that puts real money in every pilot's pocket, tightens scope (we'll just have to agree to disagree), and provides incremental improvements in many other sections of the contract. It's not a sexy, home run contract. It is a business decision that each individual will have to make. Does the current offer on the table match or exceed your personal calculation of the opportunity cost of waiting for maybe something better? If it does, then vote yes, if not, vote no.

I've had enough for the night. Heading to bed. Thanks for keeping the debate civil gentlemen. I respect you all, even if we may disagree on some of these topics. I know we all ultimately want the best possible outcome, and only disagree on how to get there.