View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Pilot4Alivin
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: 88FO

Originally Posted by KC10 FATboy View Post
First, is this a legal type of hiring discrimination? Second, could this significantly screw the company and thus the pilot group going forward?

For example, fast forward 8 years down the road. Delta is hiring like crazy to replace retirements along with other airlines (I know I know ... the elusive hiring boom). In a few years, the pool of available "well qualified" ALPA DCI pilots is exhausted. But the language forces the company to keep hiring ALPA DCI carrier pilots. Ultimately, the company is forced to hire from a pool of pilots who may not have be as qualified as pilots from another pool.

Another example, what happens if the number of DCI carriers is reduced over time (bankruptcy, non-renewal of contracts). Then, 35% of pilots would be coming from a smaller pool of pilots which further cause qualified pilot shortages.

Do we as a pilot group want this?

Look, I know I was military trained and this isn't a military vs. regional rant. There are plenty of military pilots that shouldn't be working for DAL.

I'd rather DAL be able to pick the best from ALL sources of pilots ... not forcing them to pick 35% from an ALPA DCI carrier.
All good points. This little 35% ALPA nugget needs to be removed from the TA. It does nothing for Delta pilots. Another reason for the DPA argument.