SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default My goal

Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post
Here we go again.

Sky-

You did have good experience- Initially. Problem is, you stayed in the bush, air attack, etc. way too long.

You should have gone to a regional about five years sooner than you did. Once you got that "1000hrs TPIC" you would have become marketable. Without it you never stood a chance.

Also, you have indicated that it was AK or nothing. You limited yourself to one airline that you (IMO) didn't do very diligent research on how to get hired at.

I got lucky I got hired at my second choice airline. Which turned out to be the best. First choice was FTL. I also applied to AMR, UAL, NWA, USA, MDW, PAA, EAL, Piedmont, etc., etc. The thing is I didn't limit myself and would have accepted employement at any of them while continuing to try to get hired at my "dream job" (long haul freight).

I'm not saying I was a genius in my job search. In fact- made a dumb strategic move by not going to Tigers in '87. Was flying Herks for SAT at the time. Money was very good and adventure meter was pegged. Lost about 600 numbers seniority-wise when the FTL/FDX merger happened. However, my C-130 time was very helpful in getting me hired at FDX in 1990. So it all worked out.

This is my opinion, experience only but for you job career seekers. Trubine PIC is king. Especially glass ( CRJ, etc.). Turboprops not so much anymore, unfortunately.

Good luck to all.

Regards,
Clutch
Clutch,

I did not want to be there and tried to get out but could only take the jobs I was offered. My job search was not limited. I applied to companies all over the world but could not break out of oddball flying jobs. It is a rut that people can get hung up in. Bush jobs lead to more bush jobs and so on. I tried my hardest and even though Alaska Airlines was my overall goal I applied to everyone. I even sent resumes every fall to UPS and FedEx.

When the phone would ring it was from someone wanting me to fly a Piper Aztec in Puerto Rico or a Fish and Wildlife contract in Alaska. My preference was to have walked into a 727 FE job right out of college and never touched a piston plane again. All I could do was to take the jobs I was offered. I wish I had known you back then so you could have helped me.

Skyhigh