View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 04:56 PM
80ktsClamp
Da Hudge

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Poodle Whisperer

Originally Posted by forgot to bid View Post
Delta wants to acquire 3 aircraft right now. The 739, 717 and CRJ900. I think it's obvious why the 739, it's got to have great CASMs. The 717? SWA is giving it away, you can't really refuse that especially when you have a huge fleet of make and model.

The CRJ900? Well, why would they be tripping over themselves to get more CRJ-900s? What is it about the CRJ-900 they want in almost the same quantity as the 717? Bad CASMs? I doubt it.
To give them some credit, I highly doubt the 900 has that good of CASM... I remember you and I discussing how unrealistic Bar's CASM numbers were on the plane just by fuel burn alone. Don't forget that on top of that, the regionals fly those things around FAST. They burn the gas flying .80 and don't care. Add on to that redundant management structures and all the other outsourced crap.

I think they want the 900 because a. It continues the outsourcing b. it allows them to open the CPAs to accelerate parking 50 seaters and , c. it is better CASM than the 50 and is still viable in small markets.

It still doesn't change the fact that I believe we allowed way too many additional in this TA. The new 900s are a first class product (they will never have 90 seats... Delta wants first class in as many planes as possible. Doesn't mean they wont ask for 82 or so...), will be around for a long time, and continue the viability of the regionals longer than they would be if left to their own devices to die of a failing business model.