Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Mink
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Warning: my glass is decidedly half-empty when it comes to a "career" as a US airline pilot. That being said...

Sounds like you have a great job. Consider yourself lucky. I think your observations on the US pilot industry are on the money. Summary: it sucks, and it's getting suckier (new word - look it up).

Even if The Great Pilot Shortage does materialize, the government, the unions and US airline "managers" will find a way to screw it up in terms of any benefit to the pilots themselves. Also, as stated above, if it does materialize, I would think it would do nothing but improve your position overseas as all those dissatisfied with their foreign jobs run to the good ol' US of A, only to find out they had it pretty good in Country X.

Sounds like your pay and QOL are pretty darn good. I don't think US pilots place much value on job satisfaction; it's all about the money. If you're at a place where you're happy going to work and they value your contributions and professionalism as a pilot, I think that means a lot, even beyond the almighty W-2 number. I'm sure those places still exist here and there in the US market, but they are getting fewer and fewer. Continued mergers and acquisitions will go a long way toward further embittering pilot groups. Just ask NWA guys, TWA guys, AT guys, U/CAL guys, etc.

Hope it works out for you - sounds like you're in a good spot to sit back and consider the options.