View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM
ayecarumba
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: assume it
Default Truly a challenge...

Concur with everything I've read here...it's a real challenge to maintain healthy nutrition and fitness in this profession.

I used to have an "all or nothing" approach to diet and exercise. As I've gotten older (and hopefully a bit wiser) I've realized that in this job, it is simply not possible for me and that "some is better than none." Some healthy eating is better than no healthy eating, some working out is better than no working out.

As a middle aged old guy I've had to adopt a routine that is also more suitable for my age. Or as, I've heard a colleague state "Remember when you used to warm up before your workout, and now the warmup IS the workout!"

I carry the bands and a thin yoga mat. Target sells an all in one variable band set and the thin yoga mat. The thin yoga mat is actually meant to be a mat topper for bikram (hot yoga). It is so thin you can roll and fold it up to fit in your suitcase. It's got a nice non-skid side for yoga/stretching or anytime you need to be on the skanky hotel room floor during your workout. This is a huge advantage over a traditional yoga mat which is bulky and can't be easily carried.

Gotta stay in shape for when the retirement age gets moved to 70!

ha ha.