View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
andycfi
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Default Part Time / Part Time to Full Time

Hi everyone-

I got out of the business shortly after college (2004) due to family illness and the associated financial constraints. I've done a little flying since but have wanted to get back to it. 8 years later, I'm sitting at 1000TT and 50ME. I am looking to find some way to get back into professional flying in some way, shape, or form. I have done fairly well for myself in the IT industry but would like to be back in aviation eventually.

After spending some years away from pursuing this goal, I can't seem to "scratch the itch" doing this as a hobby. It is not where I wanted to be. I am an active CFI and plan to continue that. I would like to attain something beyond that though. I don't really care about going to the airlines - it just isn't important to me anymore. I've thought about Part 135, corporate, air ambulance, and similar niches. Can any of these be done part time? If not, are there any of the typically low paying positions that I could do part time until I could achieve a decent paying full time slot?

I am open to suggestions outside the box. I've known instructors that were "at the right place, at the right time" and snagged a corporate gig at sub 1000TT. I've also known guys and gals with outstanding business / it / etc skills that worked in their primary field and also flew in the company's flight department from time to time. I am not picky - I'm just looking to attain my goal in some way, at some point.

To sum it up - I am married, very debt averse, and working full-time for less than 35k is not an option. Save the flames - I realize I must climb the ladder as everyone else has. I just can't leave IT unless I can support myself. I'm 30, my ratings are paid off, and I have no debt. At a certain point in your life, you can't turn back to an 18k salary living off credit cards.

I'm open to just about anything - I appreciate the help!