View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 PM
EMBFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by theaviator View Post
I've been using the telex 850 for a while now. I love the headset, however I've noticed that compared to other headsets the telex picks up more wind noise when in hot mic than most. This causes me to constantly flip on and off the hot mic. I was told here is something you can put over the mic that will reduce this. I've searched online and can't find anything. Does anyone know of anything like this or how to reduce it?
Somewhere near where the boom attaches to the headset (near the on/off switches), there should be a very small screw. That's the gain adjustment. Use a jeweler's screwdriver to adjust. Make very small turns as it is very sensitive. I recommend maybe plugging it into the jumpseat jack and use a company headset while you make the adjustment. It's a fine line between too much wind noise and not being able to pick up your voice.

On a side note, how do you find it with cutting out the noise? I bought a pair used on eBay and it didn't really dampen out any sound. Do you wear earplugs? Maybe I just need to replace the ear seals on it.