View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM
uboatdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by M20EPilot View Post
Hi everyone, First post on APC.

I told my story a few months ago on another board but this looks like a great place to learn a few things so I thought I'd introduce myself here as well. I'm after advice. I'm at the stage in my life where I've either got to give a professional flying career a shot, or hang it up and keep flying on 'hobby' status.

Here's some background: Age 31, 960TT, relatively-green CFI/CFII/MEI, fresh multi ratings but no time (26hrs), BS degree (engineering). Four years ago, I realized a life long dream as I saved enough to buy an airplane. I own a '66 Mooney, and have taken it from the tip of Baja to Fairbanks and to many points in between. No debt, financially secure (not rich, though). I started flying when I was a teenager, PPL at age 17, right on to instrument and commercial shortly thereafter.

I flew actively for a few years and then had a hiatus after college while I worked before buying the Mooney. I work in the computer chip business as an engineer and have climbed that ladder to its plateau. I make good money, but for the past several years I've felt the call to do what I love more than anything else - fly.

To that end, I got my CFI recently (but can only do a small amount of teaching as there is not enough business at my home airport to teach full time). Regardless of whether I make the full time jump I enjoy teaching and am glad I got my instructor tickets.

Looking forward, I don't have specific objective in aviation. No shiny-jet-syndrome, that is. That said.. working into something with decent pay and QOL after the initial dues paying is what I'm after. I imagine its what many of us are after. In terms of ideals, it would be nice to get on with a carrier like Hawaiian (I grew up in Hawaii, have family in the islands, and know a couple of pilots at HAL, and they have a pretty good career going), or failing that, to be able to be based on the west coast. Airline? Fractional? Corporate? I am a flexible man!

So the question is how to get there? It seems like the thing to do is get that magic 1000TPIC. To that end, some of the regionals look like a good stepping stones, though I'm *just* behind most of the hiring minimums, which are of course creeping up with the ATP rule coming. I've started sending out resumes but no bites yet.

Assuming I don't get a call quickly, the next issue becomes getting my 1500 hrs for the ATP, or even 135 ifr minimums, and of course that elusive multi-engine time (anyone in the SF Bay Area want to split a rental some time for some time-building?).

I batted around the idea of selling the Mooney (which I'll need to do anyway once I get that first full-time flying job), to buy a cheap twin to build time, and pray that nothing expensive breaks... but I suspect this could be biting off more than I can chew.

Any wisdom you can share for a guy in my shoes is appreciated!
Both galaxy flyer and Rama speak quite a bit of wisdom with a only a few words. I'll be more wordy and have less wisdom.

If you do want to make a career switch and make flying your primary source of income, you need to do some research and choose a career objective early. Having an objective is not SJS, unless the objective is only to fly a jet and does not take into account pay and quality of life (QOL). Regardless of your goal, there are 2-3 things that will help you achieve it. Networking, flight time, and seniority (in the case of airlines and many fractionals). The first two should be self explanatory. Whatever your career goal is, you want to get there as quickly as possible, realizing this may take some financial sacrifices. Seniority depends on how quickly you get there (which can heavily depend on networking and flight time) and can make the difference between wide body captain, narrow body FO, or even possible furlough.

Of course, if you prefer being home to a hotel room over 200 nights a year, you should completely follow galaxy's advice.