Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Controlled Rest
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Not many FO opportunities in Asia. Plenty of Captain ones. There are a few though. Indonesia would be the place to go if you're looking to go with little to no experience.

My advice would be to find a US regional that has quick upgrades. Get yourself some PIC time on a regional jet (E145/170/190 would probably be ideal at the moment) then go for captain jobs. Some of the LCCs in Asia (Air Asia specifically - although their pay is the on the low end) will hire you without a rating on the A320 if you have other command experience. Once you have the A320 time, there a plenty of options. It's the most in demand type in the contract world in Asia right now. Other contract jobs are also available. Tianjin has E145, E190, and A320 captain contracts and they claim they will upgrade you to the next aircraft after your first contract. They also have a 50/50 contract so you could commute from wherever. I have no idea if they live up to any of their promises though. You'd have to ask someone who works there. Likewise Skymark in Japan will hire you as a 737 captain without time on type (you do, of course, need command time on another jet - I believe they accept everything down to a CRJ700).

If you're looking at some of the Middle Eastern carriers (EK, EY, QR), they will hire you as an FO and upgrade eventually. They all require previous jet time though (~2000 hours I think). You'd find it hard to commute with any of those companies though as they don't get many consecutive days off.

If commuting is your primary goal, get the jet command time and get on to one of the many commuting contracts out there.

No seniority in the contract world. Limited seniority elsewhere.