Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM
FlyBoyd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: FDX 767 FO

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
Does anyone have any experience circling from an ASR? I could potentially be doing one in the near future as part of a checkride. Wondering if the controller lets you know when you are within the circling radius. Has anyone ever circled from an ASR?
Coordination for the circle aside: Be prepared to switch to tower freq once you have the field in sight and commencing the circle. Know what your missed approach instructions/climb out are and have a plan. I could see the ASR circle turning into a "losing sight of the runway/field" on a checkride...I do it to my students on most rides. Circling to a missed can be cosmic for some.

Once you have the field in sight call it. The controller should then announce where you are. If once you call the field, the controller responds with a distance outside of your circling radius just ask for a callout at your circling radius. It shouldn't be a problem.

Also, just because you are shooting an ASR don't neglect to tune up useful navaids if able. That colocated VORTAC, although not used on the approach, can be useful and I would have no problem if my student used a GPS to determine distance to the threshold if it was "working." Our SOP calls for the student to have a backup approach up. This approach can point you to the useful stuff to tune up.

I hope this helps.