View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Velociopede

Velociopede is a rare example of the classic arrogant union guy. The airlines use to be full of them. Most have been beaten into submission or exterminated through mergers, pay cuts and furloughs.

The characteristics usually are; egocentric nature, legends in their own minds, lack of empathy, bullyish threats, "Ive got mine"-ism and a healthy helping of denial. They come from the "in" crowd at the country club and usually have gotten in through a parental legacy or high connection of some sort.

I may have made some mistakes in my career but I didn't have a father, uncle or squadron leader to lend a helping hand. I had to go it alone and made the best choices that were available to me. Had I stayed at Horizon Air I would be still there flying next to the other guys from my class who didn't have an "in" at the majors. I am forced to make my own way in the world and if that means taking a position at a undercutting start up then that is what I and the rest of the shut outs will have to do. Angry insults only steel the resolve even more. Why should we go without so that a few spoiled brats at the majors can afford a beach house?

The winds of change are undeniable. Jetblue, Virgin, Allegiant, Spirit and even the regionals are all gunning to take business from the establishment. The ranks of those comapnies are filled with rejected nobodies like myself who have little sympathy after being kicked to the curb by privileged union bully's.

I wish I had the opportunity to be on reserve for a well respected major and being forced to fly on the side to make ends meet. As a bush pilot and forest service pilot I would get perhaps 14 days off in 6 months.

We all should savor these short sighted comments because one day soon we may not have many of the old school left.

SKyHigh