View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Sink r8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by Elvis90 View Post
I had hoped that this contract would cover hotel costs for new hires in initial flight training, but I don't think it was addressed. It was one of my comments in the contract survey. They're cash-strapped as it is, and just because we had to do it doesn't make it right, or not worth changing, and yes I would be willing to give something up for that.
I think you could argue that no contract invests quite as much in newhires as this contract, because it's designed to create newhire positions, both in terms of early outs, and in terms on 717's. Whether it pans out that way is another question, but meanwhile, consider that the pain of the training crashpad is short-lived, while the pain of insufficient per diem, or the pain of paying for uniforms and supplies goes on forever. Want to help newhires by an equivalent amount? Give all Delta pilots an allowance at the Flight Station each year, or cash, and give us all per diem that doesn't cause us to subsidize our jobs.

I also think the last thing newhires want is something that causes bean-counters to view them as being proportionately more expensive than they are now. You essentially want Delta to be thrilled with the relatively low cost of newhires, and bring on as many as possible.

I know we all assume the number of newhires is fixed, and the company will pick the minimum, but I wouldn't be surprised if they add up total costs and somehow decide to get less than the minimum. One of the reasons I think tiny costs influence those decisions is the fact they ask whether you need hotel rooms in trianing while you fill out AE preferences. Part of me supsects that this is a factor in tweaking backfill awards.

Your heart is in the right place, but I think this is a case where good intentions might actually backfire for the intended recipient.