View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Thanks Man

Originally Posted by frozenboxhauler View Post
SkyHigh, I wish you nothing but the best, but these are nothing but excuses. I don't own any "toys" or "beach-houses" and I had no one in the game (ie, father, uncle or squadron leader). I was so far "out" from the "in-crowd" that it wasn't even funny. The difference is that I refused to take "no" for an answer. I applied everywhere and I've got a stack of rejection and "**** off" letters about two inches high. I plan on wall papering my office with them the next time it's ready for a change. This has nothing to do with "old school" or even "new school" for that matter, it's just about drive and a little bit of good luck. Like I wrote before, I wish you nothing but success,
Best Regards,
fbh
I understand what you are saying. Every fall I would set a goal of sending out over 200 letters and applications by thanksgiving. I went to every job fair on the west coast, joined the noteworthy pilot employment clubs. Taken cross country employment trolling trips visiting a dozen or two companies in person. I have ventured into cold calling. I fully understand what you are saying and have exhausted every avenue.

The truth is that, though there is opportunity, those without significant contacts are frozen out of most of the better jobs. Many companies now even require several LOR's from company line pilots to be included in your application package. What is more obvious than that? I have never even met a for real SWA pilot let alone have any to request a LOR from. A simple letter writing campaign is antiquated and ineffective. Pilots today are hired through a well established "network". If you are aligned with the right people you have a better than fair chance of getting in. The application is just a formality and provides data for HR to begin an employee file on the new hire.
Occasionally HR gets bored and will pluck a random application from the pile and give a farm kid a thrill but the rest are all internally campaigned for and politically motivated hires.

Pilot families live and mingle with other pilot families. They tend to buy homes in the same neighborhoods join the same timeshares ect. It is easy for the offspring to make great connections and to be shown the secret way in. I have had to work my way up from the bottom. Almost every job I had I was the first in and threw a line to those to follow. My peers and I have reached the end of the ladder and there is no one above to send down a hand. I don't have any faith that simply waiting patiently will help out. The upper levels of the seniority list at the regionals are filled with 50 year old guys who have been waiting while 20 somethings who came from the right circle of friends continually get class dates.

SkyHigh