View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 05:02 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Post

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Sky, you have a lot of heart and I know you post on here out of a sense of responsibility, but don't waste time villifying a few who made it and therefore have to decide the fate of lesser pilots. In their hearts they wish to be fair. Favoritism is like the wind: it can blow in any direction, and as long as there are people having to decide things there will be fair and unfair decisions. Just strive to be true to yourself and when things get sour as they perhaps did for you let it go and strive for clarity and inner quality. I would argue that is the real thing to be had, it transcends flying, and it is all you take with you. I have to work in an office all day which I hate. I long for the sky, and when it comes time I'll try for a regional class. But if I can tolerate the office for what seems like an eternity while I build time and contacts, then you can forgive a few chief pilots for being human.
I hear with what you are saying and agree wholeheartedly with it. I hold nothing against anyone who uses the resources available to them. Nepotism and the old boy networks are the way the world turns. I was mainly pointing out that piloting skills and experience alone really have little bearing on ones success as a pilot. It is unfair but life isn't fair.

We are all raised to believe that if you are the best and prove yourself the opportunity you desire will come your way and that simply isn't true. From my earliest memories all I have ever wanted to do was to fly for Alaska Airlines. I threw everything I had into the effort for nearly 20 years and so did my friends to little effect.

My father was an aerospace engineer and a good one. He never had to go looking for a job, they found him. He had poor people skills and made few professional fiends but the head hunters kept calling. I grew up thinking that if I was a good pilot and put in efforts to be the best I could then the world would come knocking. Well, it hasn't. I am not angry at anyone. I am disappointed the the profession and the system as a whole. My failure was that my father possessed skills and abilities that few others could replicate. As a pilot I was one of thousands and we can only fly one plane at a time.

My best chance for career satisfaction now will come from a west coast start up.

SkyHigh