Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by MX442 View Post
SkyHigh,

I once met a pilot whom flew for National, while on a trip to Vegas... As I talked to him, he even offered to help me get my stuff in with National to get some "heavy jet time" in so I could go to Alaska.... This is networking... I'll bet a nickel you are the gentleman I talked to (maybe I'm wrong). He, (or possibly you?) was willing to help a fellow colleague. AS was the ONLY airline I ever wanted to work for. Well, AS shot me down in 2003, and I was let down. After that, I didn't want to ever go through another application process again, or try another carrier. I re-applied at AS and never heard a word, so I gave up. I've never sent out any apps since, and have had my eyes shut to opportunity.

Fast forward to 2007... I had a UPS jumpseater on one of my flights. I told him I'm very interested in UPS, but I have no contacts.. None... He said he'd be happy to help me out. I haven't talked with him too much yet, but it's a start... He told me to be persistent and get someone, or himself to drop my name with HR. I thought I'd never get a chance at the elite carriers either, and then this guy came alone. I couldn't believe it. Another pilot I work with just got on with FedEx by coincidentally meeting another FedEx pilot to be their sponsor. If this is what it takes, I'll be talking to every jumpseater I meet from now on!

The point I'm trying to make is that I thought I could never network or find anybody on the "inside". I found out that all I had to do is ask... Be persistent, network, and good luck!
I have always tried to be a sponsor for others. Sometimes it doesn't work out so well but that is life. We are in a mini interview with everyone we meet on a daily basis. You never know where your next opportunity will come from. I talked to every jumpseater and collected business cards.

I even have a few good friends at Alaska Airlines who have offered to help. Alaska Airlines is highly sought after. I am told that they are only hiring around 100 per year. Most of those seats are being filled by military superstars and from the sons and daughters program. Unless your contacts are willing to actively campaign for you and have some real political influence there isn't much of a chance.

Years ago I was working as an Alaskan bush pilot and would occasionally run across ERA (regional airline) pilots. Often upon and within minutes of introductions the sons of Alaska Airlines pilots would announce themselves. They would say something like "daddy thinks I need to stay here till I reach 2000 hours, then he will get me in at Alaska". At first I would think "this guy is nuts" then soon after I would pass then in the ANC terminal wearing an Alaska Airlines uniform. My friends and I risked our lives daily to work our way towards an opportunity like that. We sacrificed the days of our lives to live in miserable conditions for more than a decade dreaming of the day when we could have an opportunity to stride through the airport in a clean white shirt with an Alaska Airlines logo on our hats. Two of my closest friends died in airplane accidents because they lacked the contacts needed to advance in a timely manner.

In my experience I believe that persistence is good but it can also get you killed. At some point we all need to cut our losses. I wish someone would have told us all in flight school that unless your father is a major airline pilot you will suffer, loose and most likely will end up holding an empty bag. A few lucky Joe's find their way in. At my age and situation I can not afford to risk anymore waiting for a slim chance.

SkyHigh