View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
captainkudzu
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Citation

I've been talking to DPJ as well. I can vouch for the details provided by others and add a few:

SIC base salary is $36K. PIC base is $61K for super midsize. If the aircraft flies more than 60 hours per month, incentive pay kicks in. FOs get $60 per hour above 60 and PICs get $90. The incentive pay encourages flying broken jets and flying them as slowly as possible.

They typically have annual increases, but I was told that there was a pay freeze this year. They hope to reinstate the raises next year.

They seem to hire for specific airframes. I've been told that if you go to CVG, you've pretty much got the job. An open question is whether you should want it.

From the people I've talked to, the people there are good. Management is a problem (see comments about Segrave above). Pay is not good. You work a lot. From what I've heard, you aren't home long enough to use flight benefits. Training is on days off. You get two weeks vacation, but with only 4 pilots per plane the other guys have to cover you when you are off and vice versa.

There is no defined rest period. They use a rolling 10 hour rest. There is no standby (FBO reserve). I've also been told that training (Simcom) is quick and that the crews have a seat-of-the-pants, cowboy style. Airline flying, or even standardized flying, this ain't.

There are four training contracts for the first four recurrents. Each contract is nine months and pro-rata. Upgrades/transitions incur a one year contract.

Another word of caution, I was also told that there is a zero tolerance alcohol policy. Guys have supposedly can be and have been fired for ANY amount of alcohol detected in a random. Don't take cough medicine on tour, I guess.

The universal view of everybody I talked to is that this is not a place to be if you have any other options.