Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM
DashTrash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SFO Guppy CA

Originally Posted by chudonfire View Post
Howdy fellow QX pilots, I need some help making a decision.

Three years ago I took a voluntary furlough to work for a local UAV company. My furlough lasted two years at which time I asked for and was granted a LOA. Now, the company tells me no more LOA's, I must decide between airline life and UAV life. I'm looking for a snapshot of how you guys and gals currently feel about working for Horizon, has quality of life changed with the new contract and scheduling practices does there seem to be an optimistic outlook etc.......? My current job while not as fun is pretty easy, weekends off, descent pay, good people but it isn't as satisfying as flying.

So, I'm just looking to see what my peers think. It's a really difficult decision, possibly leaving a career that I worked so hard to obtain.

Thoughts?
I was at QX for six years. I left there to go to Compass because upgrade was at least a possibility in the near future. The most junior CA is a Jan. 2001 hire date. The top 25% percent of the seniority list is not going anywhere until they retire because they've been there 20+ years. If you live in the PNW and don't want to commute, there is only one decision as far as airline jobs.

As far as QOL there since the ratification of the new contract, my friends over there love the flexibility that the scheduling changes provide. You will fly a turboprop and make a decent living though. Just some thoughts from a former QXer.