View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
bcrosier
Eats shoots and leaves...

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Didactic Synthetic Aviation Experience Provider

Originally Posted by skylover View Post
"I agree, structured training can produce a better pilot, and certain specialized training even more so."

I think you have to look at this from the perspective of somebody like me. I'm fairly sure I'm going to go to an aviation university. Like we've discussed above, a "structured" approach like this produces an overall better educated and better prepared pilot. But there has to be some kind of incentive for this, because av. universities. are overall very expensive, training can take quite a long time, and the degree itself isn't very useful outside of flying. This is what the FAA recognizes, and they are using the reduced ATP minimums to entice aspiring pilots to take a "structured" route, rather than going to Mom 'n Pop's Flight School.
I don't believe an "aviation university" is the only or necessarily the best way to accomplish this. I would look long and hard at state schools with good aviation programs. If you find one that fits the bill, I'd go there and get a major in SOMETHING OTHER THAN AVIATION! You'll probably save some of those $$$ by going that route.

Take the aviation classes as a minor or second major. My personal experience was the the courses which were most beneficial weren't the actual flying courses (though they were good), but rather the ground school courses, turbine aircraft systems courses, CRM, meteorology, and simulator courses. These are the subjects which you typically won't get as thorough a background on at a "Mom & Pop" operation. You can do the flying at a Mom & Pop's, odds are they do a decent job at that, and you'll likely save a good amount of cash.

The "enticement" should come from the fact that you will be getting a more solid educational foundation upon which to build, and that the experience you gain as you move towards ATP minimums will make you a better, more knowledgable, and safer pilot; which in turn should put you at the top of the stack of your peers when it comes to being selected for an interview. Then you will be able to explain how your background and experience makes you the best candidate for the position.