View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
hemaybedid
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Just want to clarify from my original post on this thread. I have been at the company for 4+ years. I originally stated 5th year as in longevity.

Originally Posted by atlmsl View Post
That's just the point. The pilot isn't senior enough to hold a line. PBS is a giant pool of pairings. When it gets to said pilot's seniority it tries to build a schedule. Let's say there are 3 pairings remaining in the big giant pool that began with #1 pilot. If a pilot needs 4 four day trips to complete a schedule and only 3 pairings remain in the pool then he is assigned reserve. PBS moves to the next guy in line. Let's say this guy has vacation, bids vacation low, and only needs 2 four day trips to meet the credit threshold. There are 3 pairings remaining and PBS places two on his schedule and calls his schedule complete.

A junior pilot got a line while a more senior pilot got reserve. It's not globalization, it's not dishonoring seniority. The more senior pilot couldn't hold a line regardless if the next guy has vacation or not. If nobody junior to the original reserve pilot had vacation or preassigned credit then everyone junior would also be on reserve and the 3 remaining pairings would be in open time. I don't understand the mentality that says if I suffer then everybody junior must suffer with me. The pilot just wasn't senior enough to hold a line. Period.
For some reason everyone for the last little bit has focused on vacation and junior pilots getting lines. Why the focus on vacation. Multiple other examples have already been listed. I am 25% seniority on the button in my domicile. In June I had a carryover high credit trip into the first few days of the month. Because of that trip I was not able to be awarded a four day the first few days of the month, therefore my schedule couldn't reach the threshold and I was awarded reserve. PBS moved on to the next junior pilot who had no previously assigned credit (training, vacation, or carryover). At that point it assigned them the four day I couldn't accept and the rest of what I would have had. Is that honoring seniority? It's my opinion that there should be some sort of transition period allowing everyone to have a blank slate and equal opportunity to hold a line as their seniority permits.