View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 AM
newarkblows
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: e190

Originally Posted by gtechpilot View Post
I suck at reading, huh? Seriously man, why do you have your panties in such a wad?

If you will listen carefully enough, most of us on the crj side will agree whole heartedly that your bidding work rules are very good for those who know how to work the system. Personally I would make out great using your work rules. But where a lot of other guys aren't biting on your work rules is they don't want to spend so much time swap/drop/trading to get what they want when they can get just as close when they actually bid.

The reserve 'discussion' isn't useful - the company saved money using PBS, just not as much as they originally expected. Looking at reserve levels is meaningless because the company is getting by with fewer pilots overall by making our monthly lines higher in value overall and more 'productive'. My contention with your statement was your 'if not more' proclamation. The big mistake the company now regrets is allowing vacation low. Before you disparage my fact checking, this is from the horse's mouth - SH 'director of aircraft ops'.

As for how 'great' our PBS is, the majority of the pilot group likes what we have although there are necessary tweaks that would make it better. With PBS the norm in our industry, how many pilot groups echo the CRJ sentiment?

Some of your work rules would work out nicely incorporated into PBS, but no one on the CRJ side wants relief lines to come back. Instead of getting paid for the occasional vacation/training trip drops, many of us would rather be paid a higher overall average. Instead of having to be at our computers at the precise time to trade for open time to make our schedules better, many of us would prefer that our original schedule were good in the first place.

I like your contract - I'd take it as is, with the minor addition that I want solid duty rigs. That said, PBS is industry
standard now and I don't see a joint contract without it. Why not be proactive and try to shape it into something you want before it is forced by mediation or whatever?
Nice post. It is actually refreshing to read something on here that is well thought out. I really don't think the two pilot groups are that far apart in most aspects but there is a vocal minority on each side that wants there to be a screaming match. There are people on each side with close minded agendas as well but I think cooler heads will prevail in the eventual TA.