View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Guys,

A couple of things to think about:

The most important thing about DAL is that there is a huge variety of flying and with a little seniority you can pick your poison. 1 day turns to14 day international trips.

During the past decade we had all kinds of movement, stagnant, backwards, non-existent etc - you get the picture. Once hiring starts the movement should be fairly rapid. If all goes well (which it usually does not in this industry) new hires will be able to decide fairly quickly if they want to chase QOL or money, and it will have a huge impact on the type of flying you do.

I believe New hires will have a one year seat lock in equipment (but not base) so it may take a year to get what/where you want but I anticipate new hires being able to fly in any base at the 1 year mark. For reference the last time we had any serious movement (2000) new hires were being awarded AE's for the 88 before their rating ride as FE on the 727. I was able to get to LAX in month two as a FE.

lets look at two scenarios for new hire QOL, Good and Crappy (typical).

A (good): New hire gets M88B. Plenty of movement. Can bid any 88 base within 2 months. In a junior base (NYC) he gets a line in 3 months. If he bids to a more senior 88 base he might be on reserve for 10 months or even the whole year.

B (crappy): New hire gets 7ER (doubtful but it has happened before, but remember it is just a hypothetical to show extremes). Typical (stagnant) movement. Can not get out of new hire base. Sits reserve all year. After lock is up, he bids to 88B and gets base of choice. Sits reserve at senior 88 base holds a line in junior 88 base.

All of the above is speculation on what may happen, we will know a little, more when we get the early retiree numbers next month and a lot more when hiring starts.

Good luck to all potential DAL new hires!

Scoop