Thread: Silver Airways
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 07:05 AM
nkm06
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by Rath View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this thread and I had a few questions in regards to Silver Airways for current Silver Airways employees and the senior pilots.
I start class this Tuesday the 24 for an FO position in the Saab340. I was wondering how long should i expect to be on reserve for? I've also heard things that major U.S airlines and international airlines such as Emirates and Qatar don't look Turbo-Prop time the same way as Jet time...is this true?
I can't say about reserve on Saab but I have been on reserve for 2 months now, i'm in beech in the northeast. I don't think major airlines in the US care too much about jet time vs prop time as long as you have Turbine PIC. Now I've heard that Jetblue had something with the MTOW of the aircraft plus they don't like prop guys, but other airlines hire prop guys. Now considering Emirates and Qatar, u won't get hired as of right now at Emirates with prop time, they want Jet time with MTOW of greater than 30 tonnes (30,000kgs or 66,200lbs). Whereas, with Qatar you can get hired as a Second Officer with 1000 hrs turbo prop time in aircraft with MTOW of 12,000kgs or about 27,000lbs and Saab meets that requirement. I've also heard some captain from the Beech was hired as a second officer at Qatar sometime ago. You should go to the job fairs when they attend and talk to them maybe they will give you a better idea of what they are looking for. Enjoy training and welcome aboard!