Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Excellent. Thanks DH.

Let's see where this falls out:

1. Work hours - Contractors are more likely to get paid by the job, instead of a salary or an hourly wage.
I got paid per flight hour.

2. Tools - If a company buys equipment such as computers for a worker, pays for their internet connection, or buys clothing such as uniforms, the IRS considers the worker to be an employee of a company.
The company bought the airplanes. they also provided flying clothes since they are specialized. I'm darn glad I wasn't expected to buy my own gear - except for flight boots and those were like $100!

3. Job Autonomy - If a company is paying for a worker's training, and giving specific instructions that tell them how the employee should perform job duties, it is more likely that the IRS will consider the worker an employee.
They paid for my training in two different aircraft and I flew according to SOPs and training rules.

4. Job Expenses - The contract worker sets their own price to perform a job,...Contractors also pay...other expenses such as buying a hotel room and purchasing food while working on a job.
I was paid an hourly wage set by the company and per diem IAW gov't travel regs.

5. Benefits - Benefits are not provided to contract workers.
Nope. No benefits.

So - - it looks like I sort of fell in the middle of some the overall definitions.
Using this one site's checklist though, I again wonder how any flying organization would ever be able to hire "contract" employees. The industry is 100% against paying for training, but if the company pays for training then you have checked a block for being an employee

I was very happy with the job! I didn't relish being a contractor and I certainly didn't enjoy being paid per flight hour. No fly = no pay. I also liked on being 'contracted' to 14 days a month, but I was able to give them more time if my schedule allowed. Hated figuring those taxes though and surprisingly - I didn't know that I couldn't use that contractor job (though I had a minimum 'guaranteed' salary) to qualify for a loan unless I had been at the 'contractor' job for an period of some years!

USMCFLYR

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 07-24-2012 at 05:18 AM.