Old 07-27-2012, 04:55 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Maybe I've been lucky. I've always had a great relationship with all my employers, and every single one of them have gone to bat for me.
It was my experience in the military that your superiors were held accountable by THEIR superiors for your well-being. I was responsible for those assigned under me and my a$$ would be held to the fire if I wasn't addressing their concerns and trying to resolve issues. Working in private industry during college I also worked for a good organization. While the work was actually back-breaking, you had good compensation (union job) and a lot of teamwork and camaraderie.

In the aviation industry, it seems it's more of "lets see what we can get away with", rather than trying to attract professional applicants. The industry is set up so that you "have" to go through certain levels of career progressions. Since it's set up this way, employee abuse is rampant. The things that people justify on this site are sometimes downright horrific. I'm all for hard work (see above), but the employee abuse has to stop. Like was stated earlier, you complain, either nothing happens or you get fired. It's not always like this, but in contrast to what I described above about the military, the "buck stops" at the next highest level, and your concerns and questions never make it any higher in my experience. That next-level manager has a nice position and doesn't want to jeopardize it.