View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

An aviation career does not make a lot of sense these days for most people.

If one pursues a career, it must be based on a love of all things aviation...that will soften some of the sharp edges. With the proliferation of fast-track "glossy-brochure" flight academies too many younf people (and not-so-young) jump into aviation expecting big (or at least decent) money and a great quality of life...in reality it takes 15-20 years to get those, if ever.

I would suggest...

Pursue every educational opportunity such as CAP, etc.

Before even considering a career, earn a Private Pilot cert and do some fun flying. If you still like it at 100 hours, earn an instrument rating. Only then consider professional flying.

If you decide to go pro, look hard at the military...Air National Guard (followed by USAF reserve) is the best kept secret in military aviation, start there if flying is your thing. If that doesn't pan out, look at active duty military. He'll need a degree either way, scholarships are available too.

If he goes down the civilian path, I would recommend NOT majoring in aviation (unless it is aerospace engineering). There are many good reasons for this, but aviation is fickle and it's best to have a fall-back position. Since aviation is your "fulfillment", you don't get to major in underwater basket weaving or fill-in-the-blank studies. Select a major which is marketable if aviation falls through...I figure most pilots will spend 3-10 years on the street due to medical, furlough, Ch.7, etc. Even if you land a job right way, in airline aviation you start all over at the bottom with a new company, could be an 80% pay cut. Suitable majors are portable, marketable, and can be kept warm on the back-burner through part-time work (computer programming, accounting, pharmacy, PA, etc)

For flight training, there may in the future be some benefit to doing an university aviation program (like I just told you not to do). This is due to possible regulatory changes related to airline pilot employment. You'll have to keep this in mind and research things when the time comes to pick a college. But as of right now the best bet is train at a good (do your homework) local flight school. Avoid large loans...you will not be able to pay them back on $10-20K entry-level pilot wages.

Again, all the best civilian jobs go to ex-military pilots first, and they got paid a living wage while NOT paying for their own training. But you will probably want to be a fixed-wing pilot, not a helo or God-forbid UAV pilot. Air National Guard, USAF Reserve are the only way to guarantee that.