View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Ottopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by utroyalwulff View Post
thanks you guys i have learned alot. if you can think of anything else i would appreciate it.

So if we were to make a list of important things to do in the next few years:

-Dont plan on major in aviation unless its aerospace engineering, have a back up in something else
-stay in the CAP program and try to find out if they AFROTC at his HS
-doing it through the military or reserve is a good way to do it if ends up being what he wants to do.
-have him work on his private pilots license. Im hoping the the CAP program can get us some contacts on this.

I like the CAP program, its seems to be a pretty good deal. He has only been involved for a couple months so far. Have all of you that have been involved in this program feel it was time well spent?

Thanks
I was a CAP cadet and now my daughter is. It can be a great and worthwhile experience or a complete waste of time depending on the local squadron. It's like the boy scouts; its only as good as the local volunteers running it. It is also what you put into it. Take advantage of the orientation flights (all 10), glider camps, powered camps, cheap flight training, etc.

Also check out the young eagle program from the EAA. They give free rides for kids. It's just another way to get up in the air.

I offered to teach any CAP cadet to fly for free IF they pass the written and the medical. None took me up on it.