View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
BFMthisA10
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2010

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
It is a military comm brevity term and can be, and is, used between military aircraft and military controllers.
USMCFLYR
Actually, military controllers would be just as unfamiliar with the term as their civilian counterparts. Sitting SOF, I would often field quizzical looks from the controllers asking "*** did he just say?"

I think you're confusing controllers with C2 agencies. CRC, AWACS, DASC, ASOC, though often pressed into blurry grey areas in certain A/O's, are not controllers. But they will typically understand and operate using brevity comm (albeit to a proficiency level that makes them equal parts dangerous and frustrating ). [not talking to you USMCFLYR, just trying to keep the discussion on point]

I had the unique opportunity to go from military aviation (Nav) to a civil school (university flight program) and back home to MilAv. I found that I had to be careful in the civil world of keying the mic and spouting what came naturally. Terms like RTB and tally would generate derision from my CFI's, even if the controllers didn't skip a beat. I would have never imagined throwing a "Bingo" out on the radio. UFB.