Old 02-25-2007, 06:36 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Its Funny

Originally Posted by dash trash View Post
Bad Guess,
Frontier could not afford us, We already have the routes for those planes and are looking to hire in the summer. We are loosing a group of guys to Alaska, FedEx, Continental, and Southwest. We are short, We pay well and it is a great place to work. Don't mind SkyHigh, he quit here when the going got tough and has no idea what it is like now.
Dream on. Most likely you will be starting to grey before reaching the left seat, and just wait management will drag out negotiations for another decade and your pay raise will become a pay cut soon enough. I am glad to hear that you are happy with the job though.

A benefit to getting hired young at a regional is that you don't realize how good others have it since you have nothing to compare it to. It was disappointing for me to live in poverty in my late 20's while my college buddies were buying houses and getting married.

The bottom line is that Horizon Air is a fairly good place to work now and that is exactly why you should not go there. Upgrade will continue to be long and drawn out. Even after reaching the left seat it can take more than a year to get a line. If you stop to consider that it takes 6 to 7 years to upgrade and then two to three years to get 1000 hours PIC you could be looking at almost a decade before reaching a point where you can apply to a major. At the same time your peers at other regionals are accepting command in an RJ while still young enough to benefit from it. The Horizon captain only has turbine time to show for his troubles and turbine PIC time increasingly has been loosing value over RJ PIC time.

The end result is that Horizon Air will be a career for most of you. I hope you enjoy it there. As for myself had I stayed I would be reaching 60K after nearly 10 years with the company. Police, fire and UPS delivery guys earn as much or more and don't have to suffer the decade of indentured servitude. It is not hard to best a Horizon Career in the outside world.

PS I still have a lot of friends who work there and am not wearing a pair of rose colored glasses.

SkyHigh