Thread: Comair updates?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM
hockeypilot44
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by The Chow View Post
Johnso,

I see two issues with Comair shutting down.

1st, if all the above proves to be true AND Delta starts hiring Then I would say the TA as painful as it is right now on Comair is at least going to do some good in the long run.

2nd is this whole debacle of 1st year pay. There are over 300 pilots with more than 20 years experience as an airline pilot who won't be able to go to another regional without starting over at year one.

Not that you and I will solve this problem, but can you think of any other industry that ties you to your company as bad as the airlines?

TC
I've been saying for years that we should do away with longevity. The only pay scale that should exist is the max. I don't think it's fair a new hire will make half what I make to fly the exact same equipment. Every single captain at the major airilnes is at max pay. The first officer scale is the only one that needs fixed. No national seniority list, no change to anything else seniority wise, and we can start over without taking a huge pay hit. We would just take a bidding, vacation, etc. hit. I don't understand why longevity raises are so important to pilots. At my airline over 80 percent of the airline is maxed out anyhow.